In addition to the fall that my 88′ EDZ took, there now seem to be other problems. While connecting it to the KX3 this afternoon, I noticed that depending on how I handled the coax, the antenna would either “hear” or not. I immediately suspected a fault at the PL-259, so I replaced it. Unfortunately, it didn’t make a difference. That means there is most likely a fault in the coax a bit further back.
For now, I have pressed the W3EDP into service as “Antenna 2”. The Butternut HF9V still remains the primary antenna of choice with the wire as the alternate. When I get more time, I will have to cut the coax back a few feet and will solder on a new PL-259 to see if that makes a difference.
It’s always something!
As an aside, I did work OA1/AL4Q on 30 Meters using the Butternut.
72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP – When you care to send the very least!