Posts Tagged ‘nw digital radio’
- Join us this episode as our intrepid hosts, Richard and Russ (mad posstcatter!), interview John Hays of NorthWest Digital Radio.
- Interview with John Hays (K7VE) from NorthWest Digital Radio.
- John has been a licensed amateur radio operator for 40 years. His wife and all of his children are hams, too!
- A couple years ago John gave a presentation at TAPR, and discussed his wish for a reasonably priced radio for digital communications with just a few connections: antenna, power and Ethernet.
- Bryan Hoyer (now K7UDR) approached John and volunteered to build one. Their collaboration (with Basil Gunn) resulted in NorthWest Digital Radio.
- Their first product will be the UDR56K-4 Universal Digital Radio, planned for availability in early 2013.
- John goes on to discuss the features of their digital radio and some of the design decisions the company made.
- Specifications (subject to change, of course):
- 25W 70cm Transceiver
- 4800 to 56Kbps
- FSK, GMSK, 4FSK
- Open Source Linux Platform — a full Linux-based web server is built-in. It uses the Debian kernel, running on an ARM processor (faster than a Raspberry Pi).
- Web Interface over Ethernet
- 4 USB Host Ports
- The radio can be completely controlled through the web interface or the command line.
- John talks about other potential applications for their radio platform.
- Keep an eye on the website for more information and to sign up for email announcements.
- You may also be interested in John’s blog.
- Contact Richard at [email protected], Russ at [email protected], or both at the same time at [email protected]
- Listen to the live stream every other Tuesday at 8:00pm Central time. Check the LHS web site for dates.
- Leave us a voice mail at 1-909-LHS-SHOW (1-909-547-7469), or record an introduction to the podcast.
- Sign up for the LHS mailing list.
- Sign up for the MAGNetcon mailing list.
- LHS merchandise is available at the Merch link on Web site. Check out the Badgerwear or buy one of the other LHS-branded items at PrintFection.com/lhs or Cafe Press. Thanks!
- Thanks to Dave from Gamma Leonis for the theme music.
Here we are at Episode #090, just 10 away from the century mark. Things have been rolling along fairly smoothly, and except for Russ being deathly ill for the last eight days, there’s not even a lot to complain about. In this episode, we have yet another interview. This time it’s with John Hays, K7VE, of Northwest Digital Radio. These guys are producing an entirely new purpose-built radio platform called the UDR56K. This technology promises to be a great advance in the amateur radio arena as well as in the computing arena. It’s a bit of kit that’s going to find a use in almost every radio amateur’s shack. If you want to find out why, please sit down and take a listen to this episode of LHS. We promise you will not be disappointed.
73 de The LHS Guys