Posts Tagged ‘Harrison’
- We’re recording live, with music played as we record. Our guest tonight is Harrison, VE2HKW, from the MintCast podcast.
- The Dalton Hamfest will be in Dalton, Georgia on February 25, 2012. The LHS Ambassador is Ronny, K4RJJ. This has probably come and gone by the time you hear this.
- The KARC Hamfest will be held in Marietta, Georgia, March 17, 2012. Our LHS Ambassador is again Ronny, K4RJJ. Thanks, Ronny!
- The Northeast Linux Fest will be in Worcester, Massachusetts on March 17, 2012. We’re still looking for an LHS ambassador for this event. Contact us at [email protected] if you’d like to help.
- Some of you may have noticed that the LHS web site has been down occasionally. For some reason, the server locks up. We can’t tell if it’s a denial of service attack, or an improper configuration, but we’re working on it.
- Paul, KE5WMA, in the chat room, reminds us of the Acadiana Hamfest on March 9, 2012, near Lafayette, LA., and the New Orleans Hamfest on March 24, 2012.
- Happy Mardi Gras!
- Linux Utilities – Russ introduces us to some GNU/Linux utilities that provide information about your Linux system’s performance.
- top shows a list of the processes running in descending order of resource consumption.
- iftop allows you to monitor connections to your machine and the bandwidth used by each.
- ifstat reports the amount of data passing through the interfaces every second, or other interval. For example, ifstat -i eth0 10 1 would report how much data moved through the first ethernet port in 10 seconds, and only do this once. Handy for capturing such information in a script program.
- iotop shows what processes are the top disk I/O users.
- All of these are command line utilities. Press Q to exit. Check the man pages for other keystrokes that can be used while the utilities run.
- Interview with Harrison, VE2HKW
- Harrison, VE2HKW, is a recent ham radio licensee and describes his introduction to the hobby, what he likes and doesn’t like, and provides an overview of the Canadian amateur radio licensing structure.
- Harrison is also a member of the Covey Hill Amateur Radio Club (CHARC).
- Check out Harrison’s blog and pictures of his ham shack.
- Tune in to the MintCast podcast on Monday nights, 8:00pm eastern time, 01:00 UTC. Join the chat at irc.spotchat.org, #mintcast
- You can contact Harrison by email at [email protected] or [email protected].
- We received donations from Steve S., Paul G., and Bill H. Thank you! These donations will be added to the Dayton Hamvention fund to cover the costs of LHS’ presence at the 2012 Dayton Hamvention in Dayton, OH, May 18-20, 2012.
- LHS had several mentions on Twitter by Neptune78.
- Serge, ON4AA, asks about using the LHS logo to publicize the show. Russ explains that the LHS logo is not Creative Commons licensed, so please ask for permission to use it.
- Larry Bushey of the Going Linux podcast responds to recent comments we made about their show. It’s a love fest!
- Leif, KC8RWR, continues an ongoing comment dialog.
- Contact Richard at [email protected], Russ at [email protected], or both at the same time at [email protected].
- Listen to the live stream every other Tuesday at 8:00pm Central time. Check the LHS web site for dates.
- Leave us a voice mail at 1-909-LHS-SHOW (1-909-547-7469), or record an introduction to the podcast.
- Sign up for the LHS mailing list.
- Sign up for the MAGNetcon mailing list.
- LHS merchandise is available at the Merch link on Web site. Check out the Badgerwear or buy one of the other LHS-branded items at PrintFection.com/lhs or Cafe Press. Thanks!
- Thanks to Dave from Gamma Leonis for the theme music.