Posts Tagged ‘desktop’
Show Notes #119
Episode #119 Audio (Listen now!):
- Article: How to install and configure Conky on Linux
- Amazon delivery drones comming soon to a town near you
- Linux Mint 16: Improves Cinnamon Desktop
- A Memory Comparison of Light Linux Desktops
- WEFAX and APT
- APT: Automatic Picture Transmission
- WEFAX: Weather Facsimile, aka HF RadioFax
- WXtoImg: http://www.wxtoimg.com/
- Slow Scan Television
Announcements & Feedback
- Shout-out to Jerry Taylor, KD0BIK
- New Contest: Win a Raspberry Pi
- The contest began December 1st, 2013 and runs through January 31st, 2014. The winner will be announced on the live recording of LHS Episode #123 on February 4th, 2014. Entries must be received by 12:00am Central on February 1st, 2014 in order to participate. There are three ways to win.
- Active Linux in the Ham Shack paid members will be automatically entered to win. Therefore, if you are already a member or if you sign up for a membership (either monthly or yearly) by January 31st, 2014 you will be entered into the contest. Your membership must still be active on February 4th, 2014 at the time of the drawing to win.
- You may also enter by calling the LHS Voice Line at +1-909-547-7469 and completing the following thought: “My new Raspberry Pi will be used to…” Be as serious or ludicrous as you want. This method of entry requires no money, just a little of your time. Make sure to leave your phone number or e-mail address so we can contact you if you win. Your personal information will not be disclosed, but your response will be played on the air!
- You can render artistically in some way your concept of a Raspberry Pi. This can mean the computer, a raspberry pie, or some other interpretation we haven’t thought of yet. You can use any artistic medium, from a sketch to beat poetry. Be creative! You will receive TWO entries into the contest if you choose this option. We will post your creativity on the Web site for others to enjoy, and mention what you’ve done on the show. Have fun with it!
- The winner will receive a brand new Raspberry Pi, HDMI-to-DVI converter and power supply with USB cable that can be used to power your new Pi from a wall outlet or any powered USB port. Thank you for being a loyal follower of the show. We look forward to your entries and best of luck!
- Voice mail from Doug, N6LMX
- Donations & Subscriptions
- Ben S. (Yearly)
- Steve C. (Monthly)
- Social Media Roundup
- Tom R.
- Robert B.
- Ben S.
- Dick (W4RNO) – @6L6GT
- Jacob (KD0SJV) – @1094Jacob
- Jim (KE4INM) – @KE4INM
- Vitaliy (UR6LAD) – @UR6LAD
- Mailing List
- Chuck (VE3VSA)
- Gary (K6PDL)
- Robert (AC8GE)
- Sid (W8SFC)
- Todd (K7HPY)
- Please check out our website: http://lhspodcast.info.
- Become an ambassador! Visit the Web site for upcoming events and information how you can represent Linux in the Ham Shack at a nearby Linux con or hamfest.
- You can e-mail us at [email protected] or leave a voice mail at 1-909-LHS-SHOW (547-7469).
- All hate mail is routed to Harrison at [email protected]
- Please subscribe to the mailing list. A link is on the Web site.
- Go to CafePress and Printfection and buy some of our show merchandise. Each purchase helps out the show. You can also help the show by clicking on the sponsored ads in the right-hand column of the homepage.
- Listen live every every other Tuesday at 8:00pm Central time, or Wednesday at 0200z. Our recording schedule and countdown timer to the next episode is on the Web site.
- Thank you to all of our listeners, live and quasi-live.
- “The Feel” by Backnbloom from the album Music for the Modern Monkey, courtesy of Jamendo and Rathole Radio.
- “Love This Place” by Derek Clegg from the album Here Comes Your Fate, Quick Duck, courtesy of Rathole Radio and the Internet Archive.
LHS Episode #119: Just Keep Swimming
An action-packed episode awaits your eager ears. In Episode #119 of Linux in the Ham Shack, your intrepid hosts discuss the new Cinnamon desktop, Amazon's desire to make deliveries by unmanned drones, WEFAX and slow-scan television. On top of that, there is information on the best light weight desktop environments for your computer, and the announcement of a new contest where you can win a Raspberry Pi. Check out the Contest page for more details. Thanks as always for being a loyal listener, and have a very merry holiday season!
73 de The LHS Guys
LHS Episode #020
Linux in the HAM Shack #020 has arrived. This one ran a little bit long so it’s been cut into two parts. The second part will wind up being the first half of Episode #022. For this show, we brought in a friend of the show to help us with a discussion of Linux Mint and several amateur radio topics. Thanks to Bill, KA9WKA, for sitting in with us. The amateur radio portion of the discussion is being pushed over to the next show, so be on the lookout for that in a couple of weeks. This time we answer feedback, talk with the live participants in the chatroom and give all the ins and outs of Linux Mint on various platforms, from laptops to desktops to netbooks.
Thanks to all of our listeners for downloading the podcast and sending us your comments and other feedback. We hope it’s as much fun for you as it is for us. And remember, leave us an audio comment at +1-888-455-0305 and we’ll get you on the podcast. And if you want to participate as KA9WKA did, let us know and we’ll set you up.
73 de Russ and Richard