Improving the Hustler 4BTV antenna
My Hustler 4BTV antenna has been working great for me and I have no complaints about it at all. With being close to the ocean we often get windy days. The wind gusts can reach 80km per hour and during that time I would take the 4 BTV down and store it in the shed. A company called DX Engineering sells some custom-made add-on kits for the Hustler vertical antennas. DX Engineering offers a reinforced lower section for the antenna. I have noticed even during 60 km winds the antenna sure does sway a lot. I bit the bullet and ordered the heavy-duty lower section. It was shipped the next day and the order status was sent from start to finish. To replace the lower section is very straight forward and the only step that needs to be done is a measurement from the 10m trap section down to where the lower section starts. If you match this distance up then there should be no need to return the antenna.
The measure distance was 2 inches and I marked it with a sharpie pen. I then loosened the screw clamp and removed the lower section. I then cleaned the 10m trap tubing and reapplied some anti-seize, I then move the new lower section up to the mark and secured the screw clamp. Once the antenna was placed back on the lower base section it was time to check out the SWR. It was a pleasure to see the antenna's SWR characteristics had not changed.
We have had some windy days since then and the new lower section sure has made a difference with stability of the antenna. I am very pleased with the purchase. Unless we have winds over 80Km will I take the antenna down.
|All back together and ready to go. |
Solved a similar problem several years ago with my Butternut vehicle in a much cheaper way.
A quick trip down to the local hardware store and I found several sizes of rubber grommets of varying sizes. The largest one slid (top down) several feet down the vertical to which I attached very strong clear fishing line in three directions. The medium sized grommet slid on next (about 2 ft. above the bottom one) and again attached the clear fishing line, with a third smaller grommet about a ft. from the top of the antenna (and again with fishing line in three directions).
Once all three grommets were in place and all nine fishing lines were tied off to the masonry at the top of my roof walls the Butternut was literally guyed in place. In extremely strong winds it might sway 1/4″, but it’s stayed in place for years. From ground level you couldn’t even see the clear fishing line.
I think my total cost was less than $5 and the time to install it (once I had the parts) was less than 10 minutes.
Should have said “vertical” not vehicle (stupid auto correct).
Good morning Craig and thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. Very good idea and from what you said it works great and has been for some time. My issue with a guy wire or fishing line in your case I have nowhere to attach the guys. The antenna is close to nothing to attach too and to place something in the ground would only be a pain in the summer during grass cutting which here is done twice a week.
Have a great week Craig,