Ham Shack Update–Walls Complete
Even with losing one hour this weekend due to the daylight saving time change, I’m pleased to report that after three weekends and an estimated 20-24 hours of labor, the walls are complete. As I reported last week, I only had about 5 sheets of drywall to hang this weekend. Unfortunately, these 5 sheets were in the laundry area of the basement and included a lot more intricate and fiddly work. I also decided to replace the laundry dryer vent which took about an hour and two trips to the hardware store. The old vent pipe was crushed and had been taped and spliced together before we purchased the QTH in 2004. While we all know duct tape and bailing wire are near permanent repairs, I went ahead and erred on the side of better judgment and replaced it all.
I also had to accommodate a small design plan my wife had suggested. This included a short divider wall next to the washer and dryer. The laundry area of the basement was one area my wife and I had changed our minds on the overall design. Initially we had planned to completely enclose the washer and dryer behind doors. Today our washer and dryer are a basic set of Sears Kenmore models. We are planning to upgrade to some nice front load models. I figure if we’re going to spend the extra money for these upgraded models, we don’t want them hiding behind a door.
Here are a few pictures from the work this weekend. Please excuse the mess, the area is under construction.
Here’s the short wall which was a last minute addition.
Looking from my ham shack down the short hall to the laundry area. The door on the left is access into the utility closet where the furnaces, hot water heater etc. are located.
The next few pictures (a few I’ve shown in older blog postings) are in my ham shack area and show the progression over the past few weekends.
The stud walls
Just two more panels to close in the corner.
The above corner had to be framed in this way due to a basement support post. While it takes up a little extra space, it should be fine. Above desk cabinets, below desk cabinets and a nice wide work surface and all will be fine. I’ve also been getting the electrical outlets wired in. Once electrical is done I’ll wire in the CATV and network (voice/data) jacks.
So what’s next on the agenda? After three weekends of hanging drywall, my wife and I need a break. Plus I need to reposition one AC/Heating vent in preparation for the ceiling drywall work. This will also be a good time to move some of the scrap drywall pieces from the basement upstairs to the garage and just tidy the construction zone up a bit.
The weather forecast for this upcoming weekend is supposed to be warm and I think we’ll tackle a few quick outdoor projects. While snow is still very much likely in the mile high city, signs of Spring are popping up right and left. It’s time to get the flowerbeds cleaned, rake up the winter kill grass and drag the water hoses out.
If all goes as planned, I’ll be ready to rent the drywall lift and start on the ceiling the weekend of 24/25 March. Once all the drywall is installed, then we’ll start the messy phase of taping, mudding and sanding. This phase could begin as early as the last weekend in March. But I don’t want to jinx myself, so I’ll just say it will get done when it gets done.
In closing, you’ll likely not hear from me on this particular subject again until the ceiling is complete. I won’t bore you with an update next weekend on my progress of sheet metal duct work.
Until next time…
73 de KDØBIK
Gonna be NICE.
Looks great the completed project is getting close to done.