I just ordered an AP510/AVRT5 APRS tracker and am anxious to get my hands on it to try it out. I like the small size and the fact that it is self contained – no external wires are needed to have a fully functional tracker for the automatic packet reporting system APRS: But is it useful or just a toy?
The specifications from the Amazon.co.uk site are (adapted from Chinenglish):
- SainSonic AVRT5 APRS Tracker VHF with GPS/Bluetooth/Thermometer/TF Card, Support of APRSdroid
- GPS module: SIRF3 module, high sensitivity, fast positioning, stable power.
- GPS antenna: 18mm x 18mm active GPS antenna, built-in LNA amplification, Star Search, locate quickly.
- VHF Module (1W): The latest 1W VHF transceiver modules, small size, high stability for all types of wireless data transmission.
- VHF antennas are individually matched to transmitter to ensure that the standing wave ratio is proper and the emission is efficient.
I also signed up for the Yahoo group AP510 AVRT5 APRS.