UK amateurs have the opportunity to use special callsigns to celebrate the Royal Wedding

UK radio amateurs have the opportunity to apply for a special callsign to mark the occasion of the forthcoming royal wedding.It’s all quite simple. G4VXE would become GR4VXE, GW5NF would become GR5NF, MM3JFM would become MR3JFM and so on. In order to do this, you need to apply, through the RSGB to OFCOM for a Notice of Variation (NoV). The only information you need to provide is your callsign and a contact e-mail address.The special callsigns can be used between 29th April and 9th May 2011.You can read about how to apply and the conditions of the variation hereI’ve applied, so it will be a bit of fun to use GR4VXE for a few days. Who knows, I may even fire up the HF transceiver…

Tim Kirby, G4VXE, is a regular contributor to and writes from Oxfordshire, England. Contact him at [email protected].

Leave a Comment

Subscribe FREE to's
Amateur Radio Newsletter
News, Opinion, Giveaways & More!

Join over 7,000 subscribers!
We never share your e-mail address.

Also available via RSS feed, Twitter, and Facebook.

Subscribe FREE to's
Amateur Radio Newsletter

We never share your e-mail address.

Do you like to write?
Interesting project to share?
Helpful tips and ideas for other hams?

Submit an article and we will review it for publication on!

Have a ham radio product or service?
Consider advertising on our site.

Are you a reporter covering ham radio?
Find ham radio experts for your story.

How to Set Up a Ham Radio Blog
Get started in less than 15 minutes!

  • Matt W1MST, Managing Editor

Sign up for our free
Amateur Radio Newsletter

Enter your e-mail address: