Posts Tagged ‘wx4nhc’
Show Notes #108
- Linux in the Ham Shack is having a contest! We will be giving away a Beaglebone Black. (http://www.digikey.com/product-highlights/us/en/texas-instruments-beagleboard/685#beagleboneNext) If you are currently a subscriber at the monthly or yearly levels, you are already entered and need not do a thing. If you are not a subscriber, you have 2 choices: #1 is you become a subscriber at the monthly or yearly rate or, #2 is you can call the LHS voice line (1-909-547-7469) and complete this thought: “I deserve a Beaglebone Black because…” Your answers can be as serious or ludicrous as you like. Please include a call sign, if you have one, and an e-mail address or phone number in your voice mail so we can let you know if you’ve won and find out where to ship your snazzy new Beaglebone Black. All entries must be received by 10:00pm Central Time on June 16th. The drawing will be done during the live recording of episode #109 on June 18th. Good luck!
- The annual WX4NHC On-the-Air Station Test from the National Hurricane Center (NHC) in Miami took place this past Saturday, June 1, 1300-2100 UTC (9AM-5PM EDT). “The purpose of this annual station test was to test all of our radio equipment, computers and antennas using as many modes and frequencies as possible in preparation for this year’s hurricane season.”
- The spring and summer severe weather season is here once again; are you prepared to take care of yourselves for up to 10 days?
- http://www.ready.gov/are-you-ready-guide (.PDF 2004, 204 pages)
- PETS: http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/disaster-preparedness/
- In Canada: http://www.getprepared.gc.ca/ (Eng. & French)
- Don’t forget to use your favorite search engine, and look up your county’s emergency management site, and your state’s for more localized information.
- Source: http://tinyurl.com/an9s4e7
- Arch Linux 2013.06.01 is now available for download on mirrors worldwide, and it is powered by the latest stable Linux kernel, version 3.9.4. This monthly updated ISO image also contains all the updated packages from the last release. The ISO is for new installations only. Existing users can just run sudo pacman -Syu
- Source: Linux Today: Jun 03, 2013, 15:00
- Mumble 1.2.4, the successor of 1.2.3 has been released on June 1st 2013. It comes with a new audio codec called the Opus codec. “The Opus codec is designed to handle a wide range of interactive audio applications, including Voice over IP, videoconferencing, in-game chat, and even remote live music performances. It can scale from low bit-rate narrowband speech to very high quality stereo music.”
- Source: Linux Today: Jun 03, 2013, 15:00
- The Future of Ham Radio
- Reasons Linux Doesn’t Star In U.S. Schools
- Voicemail from Lord Drachenblut re: Episode #101
- LHS Members:
- Twitter Followers:
- Paul Shirey – KC9QYB – @uDaeth
- Peter W. – @ochotona_p
- Facebook followers/likes:
- Contact Russ at [email protected] or [email protected].
- Listen to the live stream every other Tuesday at 8:00pm Central time. Check the LHS web site for dates.
- Leave us a voice mail at 1-909-LHS-SHOW (547-7469), or record an introduction to the podcast.
- Sign up for the LHS mailing list.
- LHS merchandise is available at the Merch link on Web site. Check out the Badgerwear or buy one of the other LHS-branded items at PrintFection or CafePress. Thanks!
- Thanks to Dave from Gamma Leonis for the theme music.
- “Shot Down” by Josh Woodward, courtesy of Jamendo.
- “Breath Away” by Meat the Machine from the album Songs from the Gutter, courtesy of Jamendo.
LHS Episode #108: Mumble in the Jungle
Hello and welcome to the first episode to be released on schedule in quite some time! It looks like our contest to award a Beaglebone Black to some lucky listener is going well. Make sure to get your entries in before 10:00pm Central on June 16th, either by becoming a member or completing the thought "I deserve a Beaglebone Black because..." on our voice line at 1-909-LHS-SHOW (547-7469). The drawing will be held during our live recording of Episode #109 on June 18th.
In this installment, your hosts travel the world of Linux and Ham Radio, discussing the latest release of ArchLinux, hurricane and disaster preparedness, the free-software Mumble project, computers in education and more. We even have voice feed back from Lord D, addressing a philosophical topic discussed in Episode #101. Sit down with a drink and get comfortable. This episode will make you think--we hope.
73 de The LHS Guys