Posts Tagged ‘VK5DGR’
How about that: It's the first episode of Linux in the Ham Shack for 2015! We hope everyone is having a great new year so far. In this episode, we talk with David Rowe, VK5DGR, of Adelaide, South Australia. David is an audio engineer, Ph.D. scholar, inventor of Codec2 and co-author of FreeDV, among his many accolades. We talk to David about his projects, Linux, amateur radio, life in Australia, LinuxConf AU, the new SM1000 FreeDV device, the amount of energy it takes to make a Krispy Kreme donut, home built electric cars, and much more. Until next time...
73 de The LHS Guys
- “You know it’s summer in Texas, because all the truck tires shed their winter coats.”
- This episode, an interview with David Rowe, VK5DGR.
- Our hosts conduct a lively conversation with David Rowe, VK5DGR, from Adelaide, South Australia.
- David is the author of Codec 2,, an open source speech codec designed for communications quality speech.
- You can find more information about David and his project on his blog.
- Powerpoint presentations and Youtube videos of how Codec 2 works are available on his Codec 2 blog page.
- You can see David’s presentation of Codec2 at linux.conf.au here.
- David then describes the Mesh Potato project, an open hardware product designed specifically to build telephone networks without infrastructure like cell phone towers or land lines.
- The Mesh Potato is available for purchase.
- Contact Richard at [email protected], Russ at [email protected], or both at the same time at [email protected]
- Listen to the live stream every other Tuesday at 8:00pm Central time. Check the LHS web site for dates.
- Leave us a voice mail at 1-909-LHS-SHOW (1-909-547-7469), or record an introduction to the podcast.
- Sign up for the LHS mailing list.
- Sign up for the MAGNetcon mailing list.
- LHS merchandise is available at the Merch link on Web site. Check out the Badgerwear or buy one of the other LHS-branded items at PrintFection.com/lhs or Cafe Press. Thanks!
- Thanks to Dave from Gamma Leonis for the theme music.