Posts Tagged ‘Rob Hawkins’
- The 10th Annual Ohio LinuxFest will be held September 28-30, 2012, at the Greater Columbus Convention Center in downtown Columbus, Ohio.
- Another riveting episode even though Richard has been attempting unassisted human flight. (We’re all worried about the consequences should he succeed.)
- Our special guest tonight is Rob Hawkins from the mintCast.
- If you’re a subscriber to LHS, you can access the Etherpad, download episodes without music, and you’ll soon have the option of episodes in .flac format.
- Remember the Black Sparrow Media app for iPhones, iPads and Android devices. It’s free! With it, you can listen to all of the podcasts in the Black Sparrow Media group.
- Please consider donating to the podcast! Click the Donate link.
- Check out the KF8GR Linux Ham Home Page. Even though it hasn’t been updated in several years, much of the information is still relevant.
- Richards suggests a Linux/Amateur Radio “best on the web” award. Your web site should have at least one page devoted to Linux or Linux and Ham Radio. Send your nominations to [email protected]. If accepted, the LHS hosts will provide an award graphic for your website, and a link to your site from LHS.
- Richard also found this TechNewsWorld article “Why Ham Radio Is Still Handy”.
- Interview with Rob Hawkins of the mintCast podcast.
- Rob describes his move from Ontario, Canada to Houston, TX, and drops this bombshell: “Texas is nothing like Ontario!” Rob is an engineer by training. His first computer encounter was an IBM 370 mainframe and Fortran at the University of Waterloo, Ontario. His first personal computer was a Radio Shack Color Computer and his first Linux exposure was with Slackware and several dozen floppy disks. He’s been using Linux Mint since version 8.
- Rob goes on to describe how he came to the mintCast.
- Our hosts and Rob then move on to various technology topics:
- The current state of Linux Mint.
- UEFI – Unified Extensible Firmware Interface.
- Software patents.
- Windows 8 and possible opportunities for Linux.
- Contact Richard at [email protected], Russ at [email protected], or both at the same time at [email protected].
- Listen to the live stream every other Tuesday at 8:00pm Central time. Check the LHS web site for dates.
- Leave us a voice mail at 1-909-LHS-SHOW (1-909-547-7469), or record an introduction to the podcast.
- Sign up for the LHS mailing list.
- Sign up for the MAGNetcon mailing list.
- LHS merchandise is available at the Merch link on Web site. Check out the Badgerwear or buy one of the other LHS-branded items at PrintFection.com/lhs or Cafe Press. Thanks!
- Thanks to Dave from Gamma Leonis for the theme music.