Posts Tagged ‘pclinuxos’
- Tornado season has begun in Texas! Check out the videos at kcares.info
- The donations for the LHS to Dayton Hamvention fund have stalled. If you’d like to see LHS return to the Hamvention this year, please make a donation in the next week or two. All donations will go toward the cost of the booth in the vendor exhibition hall. If we fail to raise enough to attend, then the funds will go toward the expenses of producing LHS.
- Richard’s Linux Adventures
- Thank You Kubuntu, for once again obliterating Richard’s boot sectors.
- Russ suggests using dd to perform what is essentially a low-level format of the drive. For example,
dd bs=1m if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda
NOTE: This will totally erase your hard drive! Use caution!
- Matthew, KC8BEW, in the chat room, suggests using Spinrite to repair a hard drive.
- Richard declares that Debian is the Jesus Christ of Linux distributions, as it raised his hard drive from the dead, at least temporarily. It was the only distro he found that managed to install grub on the drive.
- Richard also declares that Linux Mint sucks… at least for him. Audacity caused 100% CPU usage, spell check didn’t work, and it crashes.
- Also discussed: CentOS, Scientific Linux, Fedora, PCLinuxOS, Xubuntu, lubuntu.
- Richard is writing an ebook on the National Traffic System.
- Russ again suggests Richard try Debian, but Richard says it won’t let him install Firefox. Maybe there’s a hardware issue? (Perhaps memtest might find a memory error? -Ed.)
- We received several donations from visitors to the Dalton Hamfest and the KARC Hamfest. Thank you to our ambassador Ronny (K4RJJ) and to everyone who stopped by our booth at those events.
- Russ hoped to interview Roy, KK4ATD, our ambassador to the RARSfest last week. Apparently, the LHS booth was a great success.
- If you’d like to be an ambassador for LHS at an event, email us at [email protected] and visit the Ambassadors link on the web site.
- Fab, co-host of Linux Outlaws, left a couple comments on the website expressing his gratitude for being on the show.
- Bob (W9YA) offers Russ some suggestions for entering the contact exchange information in YFKtest.
- LinuxCanuck left a comment saying he enjoyed the episode with Fab, asks for help getting the feed links on the web site to work, and offers some thoughts about Kubuntu.
- Roy, KK4ATD, the LHS ambassador to RARSFest, calls in to the show and describes the event. He’s also building a repository of ham radio packages for CentOS, called Hamux.
- Contact Richard at [email protected], Russ at [email protected], or both at the same time at [email protected]
- Listen to the live stream every other Tuesday at 8:00pm Central time. Check the LHS web site for dates.
- Leave us a voice mail at 1-909-LHS-SHOW (1-909-547-7469), or record an introduction to the podcast.
- Sign up for the LHS mailing list.
- Sign up for the MAGNetcon mailing list.
- LHS merchandise is available at the Merch link on Web site. Check out the Badgerwear or buy one of the other LHS-branded items at PrintFection.com/lhs or Cafe Press. Thanks!
- Thanks to Dave from Gamma Leonis for the theme music.