Show Notes #104
Russ Woodman, K5TUX, co-hosts the Linux in the Ham Shack podcast which is available for download in both MP3 and OGG audio format. Contact him at [email protected].
Episode #104 Audio (Listen Now):
- Pete is back on the show along with Russ
- Hamvention 2013 is happening May 17-19, 2013 in Dayton, Ohio. LHS reached the donation goal and thus will be in the Hara Arena. Thanks to Sierra Radio Systems for their incredibly generous donation that put us over the top. We will be talking with George from Sierra and Nick from Pignology in Episode #105. It’s a show you DO NOT want to miss.
- Bill, KA9WKA, has announced that he is also going to be on hiatus for a while. Therefore, we now have an opening for a show notes taker and keeper of all knowledge! If you’d like to be that person, please send us an e-mail or get in touch with Pete or I in the IRC channel.
- Website that lists known Linux Events.
- We have a pre-recorded interview with Steve Nichols, G0KYA (also AB8ZV) the Author of STEALTH ANTENNAS an RSGB publication.
- HF Propagation Report Podcast
- Factors in HF Propagation
- Propagations changes over daily and monthly bases
- Solar Cycle 24 and its progress
- HF Propagation programs
- HamCap (Windows 32-bit)http://www.dxatlas.com/hamcap
- VOACAP (Linux, MacOS X, Windows)http://www.voacap.com
- Topic for short discussion: How is Ham Radio Free and Open Source?
- http://www.linuxjournal.com/ham (2010)
- http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/open-source-ham-%E2%80%93-free-range-chicken (2009)
- Both articles are more of a teaser for Linux Journal’s HAM section.
- Pro arguments:
- Home-brew your own
- Communications open worldwide
- No need for outside infrastructure
- Con arguments:
- Need a license from “The Man” to operate
- Many restrictions (band plan, op procedures, etc)
- Not Free, as in beer (license, equip, etc)
- Therefore, is it the ‘YANG’ to Linux’s ‘YING’?
- Due to the length of the interview with Steve Nichols, feedback will be moved to after the interview in Episode #105.
- Contact Russ at [email protected] or [email protected]
- Listen to the live stream every other Tuesday at 8:00pm Central time. Check the LHS web site for dates.
- Leave us a voice mail at 1-909-LHS-SHOW (1-909-547-7469), or record an introduction to the podcast.
- Sign up for the LHS mailing list.
- LHS merchandise is available at the Merch link on Web site. Check out the Badgerwear or buy one of the other LHS-branded items at PrintFection.com/lhs or Cafe Press. Thanks!
- Thanks to Dave from Gamma Leonis for the theme music.
- “Alive” by Bright September
- “So Called a Hero” by Bright September