Unfortunately, Mother Nature has not been cooperating. I’m writing this from Costa Rica and we’ve have a lot of rain here. I was able to get on the air very briefly after arriving on Sunday, making a single contact on 20m mostly just to make sure that the gear was working. I got a little bit of RF into the radio (which I’d seen while testing at home) but the ferrites that I’d brought cleared that up.
The next time I was about to get on the air was Tuesday afternoon, also relatively briefly. I set up for 15m and the antenna behaved very well there, easily tuning the whole band. I worked a few stations in the US southeast (Georgia & Florida) and a relative local in Venezuala. But as the title of this post indicates, rainy season has started here and it’s been raining a lot since then.
Obviously a Buddipole will work in the rain, but the way things are set up here it’s not practical to leave the antenna up and run out in a near-monsoon to make an adjustment to a whip. Of course, trying to do that when there’s lightning around, which there has been, was an even worse idea.
Wednesday was pretty much a complete rainout, though my friends and I were able to go out on the water and jet ski for a couple of hours. (No, I did not attempt to operation TI7/K2DBK/MM). Did I mention that it rained constantly during that whole time?
Today (Thursday) started off looking bad again, raining for most of the early morning, but it did clear up for the majority of our day which included a sightseeing tour to the Rincon de la Vieja volcano. Right at the end of that trip it starting pouring yet again, and while there was a very brief respite after we got back to our residence here, it’s been raining steadily ever since along with a lot of lightning. Needless to say, no radio.
The weather forecast for the next couple of days calls for more of the same, although our touring plans are done and since we’ll be around more I hope that if we get a break from the rain for a few hours I’ll be able to get on the air.
I am disappointed that I haven’t been able to get on the air more, but I’m trying to stay positive and see if I can get on the air for at least a few more hours before it’s time for us to leave.