DX and Blazing Fall Color

view

I hiked across Shute Hill this afternoon to David Swain’s Farm. The colors were stunning. I worked Bulgaria, the Cayman Islands, St. George Island, Aland Island, and Italy.

I started out at the old cemetery off the Rufus Colby Road and hiked south along a snowmobile trail. Along the way I took a snap shot of some of the trees.

sky

It stayed in the 50s today, but was warm in the sun. I hiked about two and a half miles to the old range road and then into Swain’s field. I tossed my antenna wire into a gold maple and sat down in the grass with the KX3. Here’s a photo of the tree.

tree

I operated on both 20 meters and 17 meters. Here’s my log:

11 Oct-16 1755 14.010 LZ3QE CW 559 589 Bulgaria
11 Oct-16 1758 18.072 ZF1DX CW 599 599 Cayman Islands
11 Oct-16 1800 18.074 K4G CW 599 599 St. George Island
11 Oct-16 1801 14.020 LZ1DS CW 449 599 Bulgaria
11 Oct-16 1806 14.027 IZ2QXG CW 559 579 Italy
11 Oct-16 1810 14.024 OH0Z CW 599 599 Aland Island

The color is a few days away from peak. But we may not get another brilliant
day like today. I’m glad I got out.

Jim Cluett, W1PID, is a regular contributor to AmateurRadio.com and writes from New Hampshire, USA. Contact him at [email protected].

4 Responses to “DX and Blazing Fall Color”

• Jeff, K9JP:

Excellent Story and Great Photos! What did you use to connect your antenna wire to the KX3? A BNC to binding post adapter, and what length of wire do you use? 73 and Good Health, Jeff K9JP

• John/N6VTS:

Absolutely Beautiful…Tnx for sharing! 73, John

• Phil ZL2OWL:

Inspirational and uplifting. We’re just heading towards summer after a somewhat wet and windy winter way down here in the South Pacific. I very much enjoy your articles. GL tnx es 73. Phil ZL2OWL

• John and Phil – many thanks for your kind comments. These outings are lots of fun. VY 73 Jim W1PID