(Image credit: via contesting.com)
After missing the two contests that I hoped would kick off my contest season, ARRL Sweepstakes was next on the list. I managed a decent showing that would have won the MDC certificate for A-power last year, provided the log-checkers don’t take too much.
Highlights (“Wins,” as we like to say on #wwyc):
- 80 meters was awesome. Good conditions and the K9AY helped me keep the noise under control.
- Everything worked for the most part and everything still works after the contest is over.
- SO2R CW with TRLog.
- Working lots of old friends from my time in MRRC, MWA, and SMC.
- Working lots of new friends from PVRC.
- Getting my receiver crushed on all bands when I tuned across W4EE who lives less than a mile away.
- RFI to the CO detector waking Sarah up in the middle of the night. KA9FOX and AA9DY have had this problem.
- Not spending enough time on 15 meters and missing VY0JA and VY1EI there. Missed the sweep by 1.
- Not being able to answer people responding to my main radio CQ while working someone on the second radio. This only happened about five times. But, one of these was my Bureau sorter! Sorry!
- Getting confused for K1GU a few times.
Here are the numbers…thanks to all for the QSOs. See you again in two weeks on phone with a different callsign.
ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW Call: K8GU Operator(s): K8GU Station: K8GU Class: Single Op LP QTH: MDC Operating Time (hrs): 17 Radios: SO2R Summary: Band QSOs ------------ 160: 80: 367 40: 243 20: 100 15: 0 10: ------------ Total: 710 Sections = 79 Total Score = 111,548 Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club