Baofeng vs. Wouxun
Trying to decide between a Baofeng and a Wouxun HT? Here are some thoughts…
- They are super-cheap
- They are usually dead-on frequency and stable through temperature change (better than most Japanese radios)
- The Receiver sensitivity is usually better than the .2 uV specification at 12db SINAD
- They always produce at least as much power as advertised
- The Wouxun is excellent at harmonic suppression and adjacent channel selectivity
- The Baofeng usually is pretty bad on harmonic suppression sometimes as bad as 20db
- The Baofeng has terrible adjacent channel selectivity and is easily interfered with in busy RF environments
Overall, all the Chinese radios are decent, but in my experience, the Wouxun is excellent compared to the Baofeng.
The Wouxuns I have personally tested gave the Japanese models a run for their money, at about a quarter of the price.
i HAVE A wouxun DUAL BANDER KGUVD1P WORKS LIKE A CHAMP, EASY TO PROGRAM AND WELL BUILT.
I have also found that the stock antenna that comes with the Baofeng are not the best. I was ready to trash 2 HTs, until a friend suggest that I use a different antenna. Problem solved.
Wishful thinking…I am waiting for Wouxun or another maker to come up with a D-Star!
P.S. I own 4 Wouxuns and 3 Baofengs. My choice of the two is the Wouxun.
I bought a Wouxun HT when they first started shipping to the US.
It’s been an excellent radio. The only thing that doesn’t work is the flashlight and
that’s likely my fault. I’ve dropped it several times over the years.
I get to try a wide variety of radios and I’ve rarely been disappointed (excepting several Wouxun KG-UV3D radios which had memory loss issues).
My current “everyday carry” back pocket radio (to borrow a term from the concealed carry crowd) is the Baofeng UV-82C. This radio has the quality feel of a more expensive Wouxun for about a third the cost (~$55 shipped).
I have the Baofeng BF-UVB2 Plus a verry good porto!
I have both and use them a lot, we use the GMRS and FRS never had a problem yet, knock on wood
I have both Baofeng and Wouxun. When this came up recently, I remember a series of tests that were done. Here is the link.
Also, several of the Baofengs have been certified by the FCC Testing Labs and given Part 90 Commercial certification.
I have 2 Wouxuns – no problems with either. My favorite is the KG-UV9D (Plus). I might add that I hardly ever use my other FM rigs – even at home. The HT is too handy to bother with the base station.