I’ve had my ID-31 for a few years. It has been an excellent handheld for me…a little analog FM and a whole lot of D-Star. But this Spring it developed a bug…not a software bug, an actual bug in the display.
I take the radio along with me around the farm a lot. It seems a pesky ant decided to crawl into the radio and make the display its final resting place. I imagine it crawled in through the speaker holes. I had put up with it for a while, but bugs need to be either outside or connected to a radio (CW bug, hee hee) and not inside a radio.
A screwdriver and some patience and the radio is apart. The bug remains came right out and now my display is clean again. I did break the microSD card that I forgot to remove before popping the case! Doh! Oh well, $5 on Amazon and that problem is solved.
Here’s to a bug free summer of ham radio!