Posts Tagged ‘metaupdate’
Despite the lack of activity on the blog, I’m still alive and QRV on the radio. The blog had to wait. Here are some recent activities around K8GU:
- We moved from our 50′x100′ “city” (WM3O told me it was “suburban” because I couldn’t walk to an Asian grocery) lot to a nice “suburban” (semi-rural) lot of just over an acre in October 2013.
- In order to work the November DXpeditions and contests, I hastily erected the hexagonal beam on surplus fiberglass poles, as well as the 80-m vertical and a 40-m dipole. Also, put up several Beverages (yay!!!). The hex has survived some modest wind gusts, which surprises the heck out of me. I thought it would have been on the ground by now.
- Managed to work K9W, T32RC, and T33A on 80m (as well as other bands), which made me happy. Did not manage to work Z81X (on 80m) through the EU.
- Put in a nice 19-hr effort in CQ WW CW, SOAB-HP “CLASSIC” (one radio, no spotting), about 1.5M. It’s nice when WW is before Thanksgiving.
- Repaired a number TS-930Ses for people. I think mine will be on the bench soon since the sensitivity appears to be shot.
I’ve never been into making New Years’ resolutions, but some projects are in order for the next few months:
- More TS-930Ses. I have one still to fix in my queue, plus mine.
- Keep refreshing LoTW until the 99 DXCC I presently have confirmed on 80m rolls over so I can apply for 5BDXCC. I have cards for even more on 80m, but I’d rather do it all on LoTW.
- Getting some VHF antennas up.
- Editing my junquebox and ham equipment holdings, mostly parts. Anybody need some big air inductors and variable capacitors? 6-el 220 beam?
- Getting on 160 and 30 meters, better antenna for 40.
- Working FT5ZM on at least one band/mode.
- Re-installing antenna switching hardware. Right now I have to run across the basement to move coax.
- And, a special project that you’ve probably heard about but do not yet realize…details to follow.
So, Happy New Year and I hope your 2014 holds as much interesting and promising to do as mine does!