Posts Tagged ‘ray manzarek’
Show Notes #107
- Linux in the Ham Shack is having a contest! We will be giving away a Beaglebone Black. (http://www.digikey.com/product-highlights/us/en/texas-instruments-beagleboard/685#beagleboneNext) If you are currently a subscriber at the monthly or yearly levels, you are already entered and need not do a thing. If you are not a subscriber, you have 2 choices: #1 is you become a subscriber at the monthly or yearly rate or, #2 is you can call the LHS voice line (1-909-547-7469) and complete this thought: “I deserve a Beaglebone Black because…” Your answers can be as serious or ludicrous as you like. Please include a call sign, if you have one, and an e-mail address or phone number in your voice mail so we can let you know if you’ve won and find out where to ship your snazzy new Beaglebone Black. All entries must be received by 10:00pm Central Time on June 16th. The drawing will be done during the live recording of episode #109 on June 18th. Good luck!
- Ray Manzarek, the founding member of The Doors, Dies at age 74. Manzarek died Monday in Rosenheim, Germany, surrounded by his family. The musician’s manager, Tom Vitorino, confirmed Manzarek died after being stricken with bile duct cancer. The Doors have sold more than 100 million record
- Linux in the Ham Shack has a most famous listener: Adam Curry, the Podfather himself. His ham radio call sign is KF5SLN, and this is the coolest thing that has ever happened to LHS. He does the No Agenda podcast with John C. Dvorak.
- The guys reminisce about Dayton Hamvention 2013. A big thanks go to all who stopped by the LHS booth. A big thank you goes to the mystery Robin Hood who robbed his wallet to give to the poor podcasters from Linux in the Ham Shack. There was a raffle for a Pignology Piglet from Sierra Radio Systems. Russ got the piglet at a reduced price and gave it away. Thanks go to George (KJ6VU) and Nick (N3WG) for the reduced price and for other work that they have done for Linux in the Ham Shack.
- Interview with Daniel Thau, lead developer of Bedrock Linux
- Python for kids tutorials
- Why You Should Not Retire. Retiring decreases your physical and mental heath. This is due to a decrease in social interaction which proves an age old saying: if you don’t use it, you loose it.
- LHS Members:
- Hy C. W2HY
- Twitter Followers:
- Facebook followers/likes:
- Doug D.
- Dieter B.
- E-mail from John, G7VRI
- Blog Post from KE8P (http://ke8p.us)
- Web Comment from Josh, KK4LGZ
- Web Comment from Adam, KF5SLN (“The Podfather”)
- Thanks to our monthly donors
- Thanks to all of our listeners (live & via podcast)
- Contact Russ at [email protected] or [email protected].
- Listen to the live stream every other Tuesday at 8:00pm Central time. Check the LHS web site for dates.
- Leave us a voice mail at 1-909-LHS-SHOW (547-7469), or record an introduction to the podcast.
- Sign up for the LHS mailing list.
- LHS merchandise is available at the Merch link on Web site. Check out the Badgerwear or buy one of the other LHS-branded items at PrintFection or CafePress. Thanks!
- Thanks to Dave from Gamma Leonis for the theme music.
- Music: “Tramp” by Kassy Key & the Raindoggs, courtesy of Jamendo.
- Music: “The Sun Is Shining” by Boxing Fox from the album The Shepherd Hates Us, courtesy of Jamendo.
LHS Episode #107: Sorry for Party Bedrocking
This is the first episode to be recorded since Hamvention back in mid-May. Russ gives his thoughts on the event and tells everyone about the contest that was held there, and also the new one that is being held for all of our listeners. Please get your entries in. You don't want to miss out on winning a Beaglebone Black! An interesting new Linux project that Russ heard about, called Bedrock Linux, came to his attention at Hamvention. The hosts interview the lead developer in the main segment of the program. On top of that, they discuss topics from milk shakes to retirement, announce the show's most famous listener to date and bring back The Badger. You don't want to miss any of this goodness.
73 de The LHS Guys